Snowdon

On Saturday 17th September, myself and my boyfriend took it upon ourselves to hike up Snowdon. 

For anyone that doesn't know, Snowdon is the highest mountain in England and Wales (or that's what I've been told)...

I've always liked hiking and camping. When I was younger, I was a member of the local Scout group and would always go camping for the Duke of Edinburgh award... so I thought this would be a breeze!

We woke up at a ridiculous time on the Saturday morning, aiming to arrive at Penn-Y-Pass by 7am to start the hike. But no, after a de-tour or two, we didn't end up arriving until 9am. I strongly recommend getting here early and planning your route properly beforehand. The car park gets extremely full and parking along the road is a hike back up to the starting point by itself (!).

I had been told we were walking the Pyg track, but we actually ended up taking the Y Lliwedd path (which is not for the inexperienced- not to say that I am).


Some of the mountain terrain was very difficult to find any grip, and others parts involved both your hands and feet. 

Nevertheless, the views were amazing. At one point we must had been hiking for around 3/4 hours, and my boyfriend pointed over to to a mountain 3 peaks away. He said "thats where we're heading", and I truly didn't think we'd make it before dark.

I absolutley loved the day. The sense of achievement and relief when you reach the top is amazing, and we were lucky enough to get to the top on a clear day. 

To treat ourselves we dug into a steak pie and took it all in. 


On the way down we actually made it along the Pyg track, which isn't much easier. The unsteady ground made the decent very difficult, however it was much quicker than on the way up. 

Once we made it to ground level, we headed to our Air B&B. As we planned this trip so last minute all hotels were booked up and ridiculously over priced. So I had a quick look on Air B&B and found quite the bargain.

The house was an absolute dream! So picturesque and beautiful, I couldn't have found a nicer place for us to stay. Our host was lovely and the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.



It was the most perfect little weekend break!

No comments:

Post a Comment